The canine diet must be designed to meet all the nutritional needs of the dog according to its age, size, breed and physical activity. However, there are certain foods and fruits for human consumption, such as apples, which could work as supplements to this diet or rewards / sweets. Dogs can eat apple and then you will know its benefits and the recommended amount.
WHY CAN DOGS EAT APPLES?
The apple is a very healthy fruit for dogs because it lacks toxicity, except for its seeds, which contain amygdalin that, when chewed, crushed and metabolized, turns into highly toxic and poisonous hydrogen cyanide.
Although dogs can eat apples because they do not pose any risk to their health, as long as we get rid of the seeds, their consumption should be moderate due to the sugar content. Choose to offer him this delicious raw fruit, as if it were a prize, or use it to make a special homemade recipe for your adorable puppy.
The most advisable apples and preferred by the furry ones are the sweet ones, also tolerated by dogs with delicate digestion. Surely your pet will not be able to resist such a crunchy delicacy! However, keep in mind that the portion depends on the size of the dog.
APPLE PROPERTIES FOR DOGS
Apart from the fact that apples are delicious and natural, they have multiple properties that help preserve the dog’s health thanks to its main components such as pectins, amino acids, acids, sugars and catechins.
Would you like to know, for sure, what are the properties of apples for dogs? Take a look at the following list !:
- Apples contain vitamin C and vitamin K.
- Calcium, iron, potassium and zinc are present in the apple.
- This fruit contains fiber.
- The presence of tatinos in the apple, gives it anti-inflammatory and astringent qualities.
Now that you know some of the properties, you can not stop knowing what are the benefits it provides to dogs. Thanks to the fact that dogs can eat apples , they benefit from the nutrients of this healthy fruit.
Of course, apple is a very healthy fruit that most dogs can eat (with the exception of those that are prohibited by veterinary prescription in their diet).
Giving our dog a little apple will be very healthy for him, even if we give it to him with the peel . Apples are very tasty to them, so in addition to eating healthy, they will enjoy it a lot.
How much apple can a dog eat?
Like everything, the apple is healthy as long as we give it to our dog in its proper measure, if we give it too much it can sit badly and cause digestive problems and discomfort.
- A large dog (over 40 kilos in weight) can eat an apple a day, once or twice a week. Or small pieces every day of the week.
- An average dog (between 20 and 39 kilos of weight) can eat an apple a week, or small pieces of it every day.
- And a small dog (less than 20 kilos) will be able to eat only small pieces from time to time.
Remember that you should NEVER let him eat the apple seeds , as they contain cyanide and are harmful to his health. Fruits and vegetables should always be a small part of a dog’s total daily diet.
Apple benefits for a dog
Apples are a very healthy fleshy fruit full of vitamins and fiber, it also has beneficial properties for the health of our dog, as it will help reduce cholesterol and blood sugar .
In fact, it has so many benefits both traditionally and for your health, that they should be compulsory in all dog diets.
- It has beneficial properties for digestive problems, such as ulcers, gastritis or acidity.
- It is rich in vitamins like B and C, in addition to phosphoric acid.
- It is rich in fiber ( pectin ) and also has an astringent effect (yes, both).
- It is diuretic.
- Helps to stop diarrhea (in small doses).
- Helps keep teeth and gums clean and bacteria-free.
Disadvantages of giving apple to a dog
Not all dogs like this fruit, so it is always convenient to start with a very small portion and wait at least a day to assess. Also in small dog breeds , we must be careful with the size of the portion to avoid choking.
The seeds are harmful to your health, we must avoid them completely . Excess seeds can even intoxicate them.
The apple is good for curing diarrhea as long as it is not of viral or bacterial origin, in which case you will need veterinary attention. In excess it can cause the opposite effect, increasing intestinal transit.
DOGS CAN EAT APPLE: WHAT ARE ITS BENEFITS?
The apple is a fruit that has become very popular for the benefits it provides, not only to humans but also to canines; It is used for different purposes, especially nutritional and medicinal. I invite you to know 10 of its most recognized benefits and include it in your pet’s diet!
- Because it is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, and folic acid, you will notice that your skin and coat will look healthier.
- The apple is mainly made up of water; therefore, it is an excellent source of hydration.
- It is ideal for overweight dogs or for those with kidney problems; in this case, consult an expert veterinarian.
- It contains potassium and, therefore, it is essential for neuromuscular activity.
- As already mentioned, it has anti-inflammatory qualities that act favorably on the irritated gastric mucosa.
- Helps to strengthen and clean the dog’s teeth; In addition, if you offer this food at night, it will rest much better.
- It is a fruit suitable for almost all types of dogs, because it is not common to cause allergies or hypersensitivity.
- It is the perfect substitute for the common rewards or prizes that we usually give our puppy, either because he learned a new trick or simply because he behaved well. Remember that a piece of apple provides less calories than a candy, therefore, it suits you much more.
- Thanks to its antioxidant properties, it prevents or slows down diseases such as cancer or brain deterioration, the main victims of which are elderly dogs.
- By containing magnesium, calcium and phosphorus, it contributes to the proper functioning of the body. The apple is also very effective in case your dog suffers from constipation, although it can also be used as an astringent.
RECOMMENDED APPLE QUANTITY FOR A DOG
It is already clear that dogs can eat apples ; But, since everything in excess is bad, it is very important that you do not abuse this food because it could harm the health of your pet, do not forget that it contains, apart from water, minerals and carbohydrates, fructose, glucose and sucrose!
An excessive consumption of sugar would provoke the appearance of complex canine diseases such as diabetes; Ideally, the apple should be a reward for your puppy, not a constant in his diet, which can be offered two to three times a week.
The size of the dog influences a lot when feeding; therefore, the apple portions vary according to the weight of the dog. Small and medium dogs will only be able to eat a few small pieces of apple, while the larger furry dogs will have the privilege of eating a whole small apple with skin, but without seeds.
The rule is simple: dogs can eat apples , but in moderation!
If you perceive that your dog likes fruits and vegetables, then I share with you some healthy, non-toxic alternatives, so that you supplement their diet in a varied, fun and delicious way.
OTHER FRUITS AND VEGETABLES DOGS CAN EAT
There are many prohibited foods for dogs ; That is the case of chocolate , onion, garlic, grapes, raisins, milk, avocado, walnuts and tomato . However, there are certain fruits and vegetables that could work as healthy nutritional supplements for our adorable furlings. Keep reading and find out about the options !:
- Banana / Plantain
The simplest way to give some fruits or vegetables to your dog, in the case of apples, pears or bananas, is to chop them into pieces, after having washed them. You must take special care to prevent the dog from ingesting the seeds of the fruits, since it would risk drowning or poisoning.
Depending on the fruit, it is convenient or not to offer it to the dog with fur; you just have to think about how you would eat it. There are soft and digestible skins like apple and pear; And, others like that of the watermelon, which surely you would not dare to try or give it to your puppy.
Dogs can consume both the fruits and vegetables mentioned raw or cooked, as ingredients in special recipes.
Continue reading and you will find a homemade apple recipe to pamper your dog on his birthday or to reward him when the occasion arises. Take note and get to work!
HOMEMADE APPLE RECIPE FOR YOUR PUPPY
Dare to learn this delicious preparation now that you know that dogs can eat apples !
APPLE AND CARROT COOKIES
What do you need to prepare delicious apple and carrot cookies? These are the ingredients:
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- A hint of baking soda
- 1 egg
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until you have the cookie dough.
- Make small balls and start giving them the typical shape of cookies; try not to be too thick or too thin.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Place the cookies in a waxed container, bake, check that they are golden in color and well cooked; Let them cool, try them first and remember to give them in moderation to avoid health problems.
Finally, keep in mind that the main ingredient of any recipe is love, your puppy will know how to thank you with great displays of affection and loyalty! Take care of his diet and provide him with quality of life, his well-being depends only on you.