Can dogs eat apple? – The canine diet must be designed to meet all the dog’s nutritional needs according to its age, size, breed, and physical activity. However, certain foods and fruits for human consumption, such as apples, could work as supplements to this diet or rewards/sweets. Dogs can eat apple, and then you will know its benefits and the recommended amount.
WHY CAN DOGS EAT APPLES?
The apple is a very healthy fruit for dogs because it lacks toxicity, except for its seeds. The apple seeds contain amygdalin, which turns into highly toxic and poisonous hydrogen cyanide.
Although dogs can eat apples because they do not pose any risk to their health, as long as we get rid of the seeds, their consumption should be moderate due to the sugar content. Choose to offer the dog this delicious raw fruit as if it were a prize, or use it to make a special homemade recipe for your adorable puppy.
The most advisable apples and preferred by the furry ones are the sweet ones, also tolerated by dogs with delicate digestion. Surely your pet will not be able to resist such a crunchy delicacy! However, keep in mind that the portion depends on the size of the dog.
CAN DOGS HAVE APPLES? APPLE PROPERTIES FOR DOGS
Apart from the fact that apples are delicious and natural, they have multiple properties that help preserve the dog’s health thanks to their main components such as pectins, amino acids, acids, sugars, and catechins.
Properties of Apples for Dogs
Would you like to know, for sure, what are the properties of apples for dogs? Take a look at the following list !:
- Apples contain vitamin C and vitamin K.
- Calcium, iron, potassium, and zinc are present in the apple.
- This fruit contains fiber.
- The presence of tatinos in the apple gives it anti-inflammatory and astringent qualities.
Now that you know some of the properties, you can not stop learning the benefits it provides to dogs. Thanks to the fact that dogs can eat apples, they benefit from this healthy fruit’s nutrients.
Of course, Apple is a very healthy fruit that most dogs can eat (except for those prohibited by veterinary prescription in their diet).
Giving our dog a little apple will be very healthy for him, even if we give it to him with the peel. Apples are delicious to them, so they will enjoy them a lot in addition to eating healthy.
How many apples can a dog eat?
Like everything, the apple is healthy as long as we give it to our dog in its proper measure. If we give it too much, it can sit badly and cause digestive problems and discomfort.
- A large dog (over 40 kilos in weight) can eat an apple a day, once or twice a week. Or small pieces every day of the week.
- An average dog (between 20 and 39 kilos of weight) can eat an apple a week or small pieces of it every day.
- And a small dog (less than 20 kilos) will be able to eat only small pieces from time to time.
Remember that you should NEVER let him eat the apple seeds, as they contain cyanide and are harmful to his health. Fruits and vegetables should always be a small part of a dog’s total daily diet.
Apple benefits for a dog. Is Apple good for dogs?
Apples are a very healthy fleshy fruit full of vitamins and fiber; it also has beneficial properties for our dog’s health, helping reduce cholesterol and blood sugar.
It has so many benefits both traditionally and for your health that they should be compulsory in all dog diets.
- It has beneficial properties for digestive problems, such as ulcers, gastritis, or acidity.
- It is rich in vitamins like B and C, in addition to phosphoric acid.
- It is rich in fiber ( pectin ) and has an astringent effect (yes, both).
- It is a diuretic.
- Helps to stop diarrhea (in small doses).
- Help keep teeth and gums clean and bacteria-free.
Disadvantages of giving an apple to a dog. Are apples bad for dogs?
Not all dogs like this fruit, so it is always convenient to start with a tiny portion and wait at least a day to assess. Also, in small dog breeds, we must be careful with the portion’s size to avoid choking.
The seeds are harmful to your health, and we must avoid them altogether. Excess seeds can even intoxicate them.
The apple is good for curing diarrhea as long as it is not of viral or bacterial origin, in which case you will need veterinary attention. In excess, it can cause the opposite effect, increasing intestinal transit.
CAN DOGS HAVE APPLES? WHAT ARE ITS BENEFITS?
The apple is a fruit that has become very popular for its benefits, not only to humans but also to canines. It is used for different purposes, especially nutritional and medicinal. I invite you to know 10 of its most recognized benefits and include them in your pet’s diet!
- Because it is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, and folic acid, you will notice that your skin and coat will look healthier.
- The apple is mainly made up of water; therefore, it is an excellent source of hydration.
- It is ideal for overweight dogs or those with kidney problems to consult an expert veterinarian.
- It contains potassium and, therefore, it is essential for neuro-muscular activity.
- As already mentioned, it has anti-inflammatory qualities that act favorably on the irritated gastric mucosa.
- Helps to strengthen and clean the dog’s teeth; Besides, if you offer this food at night, it will rest much better.
- It is a fruit suitable for almost all dogs because it is not common to cause allergies or hypersensitivity.
- It is the perfect substitute for the expected rewards or prizes that we usually give our puppy, either because he learned a new trick or simply because he behaved well. Remember that a piece of apple provides fewer calories than candy. Therefore, it suits you much more.
- Thanks to its antioxidant properties, it prevents or slows down diseases such as cancer or brain deterioration, the primary victims of elderly dogs.
- By containing magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus, it contributes to the proper functioning of the body. The apple is also beneficial if your dog suffers from constipation, although it can also be used as an astringent.
RECOMMENDED APPLE QUANTITY FOR A DOG
It is already clear that dogs can eat apples. But, since everything in excess is bad, you mustn’t abuse this food because it could harm your pet’s health, do not forget that it contains, apart from water, minerals and carbohydrates, fructose, glucose, and sucrose!
Excessive sugar consumption would provoke the appearance of complex canine diseases such as diabetes; Ideally, the apple should be a reward for your puppy, not a constant in his diet, which can be offered two to three times a week.
The dog’s size influences a lot when feeding; therefore, the apple portions vary according to the weight of the dog. Small and medium dogs will only be able to eat a few small pieces of apple, while the larger furry dogs will have the privilege of eating a whole small apple with the skin but without seeds.
The rule is simple: dogs can eat apples but in moderation!
If you perceive that your dog likes fruits and vegetables, then I share with you some healthy, non-toxic alternatives so that you supplement their diet in a varied, fun, and delicious way.
OTHER FRUITS AND VEGETABLES DOGS CAN EAT
There are many prohibited foods for dogs; chocolate, onion, garlic, grapes, raisins, milk, avocado, walnuts, and tomato. However, specific fruits and vegetables could work as healthy nutritional supplements for our adorable furling. Keep reading and find out about the options:
- Banana / Plantain
The simplest way to give some fruits or vegetables to your dog is to chop them into pieces after washing them, in the case of apples, pears, or bananas. You must take special care to prevent the dog from ingesting the fruits’ seeds since it would risk drowning or poisoning.
Depending on the fruit, it is convenient to offer it to the dog with fur; you have to think about how you would eat it. There are soft and digestible skins like apple and pear; And others like that of the watermelon, which you would not dare to try or give to your puppy.
Dogs can consume both the fruits and vegetables mentioned raw or cooked, as ingredients in particular recipes.
Continue reading, and you will find a homemade apple recipe to pamper your dog on his birthday or reward him when the occasion arises. Take note and get to work!
HOMEMADE APPLE RECIPE FOR YOUR PUPPY
Dare to learn this delicious preparation now that you know that dogs can eat apples!
APPLE AND CARROT COOKIES
What do you need to prepare delicious apple and carrot cookies? These are the ingredients:
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- A hint of baking soda
- One egg
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until you have the cookie dough.
- Make small balls and start giving them the typical shape of cookies; try not to be too thick or too thin.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Place the cookies in a waxed container, bake, check that they are golden in color and well cooked; Let them cool, try them first, and remember to give them moderation to avoid health problems.
Finally, keep in mind that the main ingredient of any recipe is love. Your puppy will know how to thank you with great displays of affection and loyalty! Take care of his diet and provide him with quality of life; his well-being depends only on you.
Apple, Fruit, Food, Dog, Vegetable, Carbohydrate, Dietary fiber, Diet nutrition, Health, Vitamin, Fructose, Dieting, Nutrition, Food and drink, Dietary supplement, Vitamin c, Seed, Food ingredients, Foods, Sucrose, Pet, Digestion, Sweetness, Vitamin k, Stomach, Anti inflammatory, Apple sauce, Water, Agriculture, Zinc, Recipe, Food industry, Glucose, Plants and humans, Antioxidant, Natural products, Puppy, Edible plants, Constipation, Nutrient