Can dogs eat watermelon? Yes, It can but
Doubts always arise regarding the foods that you can give or not to your dog. This especially happens with the fruit and more now in summer with the arrival of fruits such as watermelon.
In this sense, it is common to find opinions for and against. The truth is that dogs can eat a wide variety of foods even though they mainly eat feed.
Watermelon is a fruit that is out of the diet, I think, but it contains a lot of nutrients and water, so there is no problem if you want to give it to your dog. But then, can dogs eat watermelon? And how much is the right amount? We tell you everything in this article.
Related – Can dogs eat apple?
The final answer to the dog and watermelon puzzle
The answer is answered with a resounding yes but always taking into account a series of tips so that the watermelon does not fall on your stomach and harm your greeting. These tips are:
- Without the bark. Always remove the bark from the piece that you are going to give it because it feels very bad and could harm your stomach. It would even have certain gastrointestinal problems.
- Without seeds. Nor should the dog ingest the seeds of the watermelon because they could also cause problems in the stomach as it happens with the rind. Intestinal obstruction or diarrhea are some of the results that the dog would suffer if food remains that are not digestible accumulate in its stomach.
- Little quantity . It is advisable to provide at most two pieces of watermelon, and we refer to the pieces that we usually eat. Do not give him more because in large quantities the watermelon could cause diarrhea and other problems in the stomach.
This does not mean that if you mistakenly eat a piece of bark or a few nuggets, you should take the dog to the vet immediately, but you should know that if it happens regularly it will end up causing gastrointestinal damage. Whenever you give watermelon keep in mind that you should prepare it just as you would give it to a baby.
What benefits does watermelon have for dogs?
Watermelon, although it contains many amounts of water, also has some nutrients that dogs can assimilate, just like we do. The following components stand out in watermelon:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B
- Sugars in the form of hydrates
So, thanks to these nutrients that make up watermelon, dogs can benefit.
Related – Can dogs eat strawberries?
- Watermelon is an antioxidant, it is purifying and also a diuretic because the amount of water it contributes to the body is very large, and with it, vitamins and fibers, mainly vitamin C.
- It is perfect for summer for its satiating and refreshing capacity.
- It is a very low calorie fruit so your dog will not gain pounds and will maintain its good physical shape.
- Watermelon has some carotenoids such as lycopene but also magnesium and potassium that help the animal to stay healthy and also protect its eyes and circulation.
Related – Can the dog eat tomatoes?
The fact that we have to limit the amount of watermelon that we give the dog is because it has sugars and carbohydrates because if the dog abuses them we would be subjecting him to an excess of carbohydrates. It is a nutrient that you already receive with other foods. Although it is true that the sugar naturally present in the fruit is very low and that makes it the best fruit for the dog. To be specific, the amount of sugar present in 100 grams of watermelon is 7 grams.
How can I give my dog watermelon
Dogs can eat watermelon, you just have to follow a few simple steps:
- The first thing is to remove both the seeds and the bark of the piece that you are going to give it so that it can not swallow them. As we have explained before, this could cause serious stomach problems.
- If this is your first time giving watermelon, first offer him just a small piece to taste, see if he really wants to, and also watch how he eats it because there are some dogs that may have trouble eating it. If you see that all this works out well you can give him a whole piece. A maximum of 3 pieces a day of medium size is recommended.
Related – Can my dog eat Rice?
If watermelon is something that your dog likes a lot, you could consider giving it as a reward for the good deeds it does and thus integrate this fruit as a positive reinforcement. Whenever you are giving the dog watermelon, you should observe its urine and its feces to see if everything remains the same because if its pee changes color or its feces are too soft, you should not give it watermelon.