Can dogs eat watermelon?
In this sense, it is common to find opinions. The truth is that dogs can eat a wide variety of foods, even though they mainly eat feed.
Watermelon is a fruit out of the diet, but it contains a lot of nutrients and water, so there is no problem if you want to give it to your dog. But then, can dogs eat watermelon? And how much is the right amount? We tell you everything in this article.
Can dogs have watermelon?
The final answer to the dog and watermelon puzzle – “The answer is yes“. But always consider a series of tips so that watermelon does not fall on your stomach and harm your greeting. These tips are:
- Without the bark: Always remove the bark from the piece that you will give because it feels awful and could harm your stomach. It would even have some gastrointestinal issues.
- Without seeds: Nor should the dog ingest the watermelon seeds because they could also cause stomach problems as it happens with the rind. Intestinal obstruction or diarrhea results from the fact that the dog would suffer if food remains un digestible accumulate in its stomach.
- Little quantity: It is advisable to provide at most two watermelon pieces, and we refer to the parts that we usually eat. Please do not give him more because, in large quantities, the watermelon could cause diarrhea and other problems in the stomach.
This does not mean that if you mistakenly eat a piece of bark or a few nuggets, you should immediately take the dog to the vet, but you should know that if it happens regularly, it will end up causing gastrointestinal damage. Whenever you give watermelon, keep in mind that you should prepare it as you would give it to a baby.
What benefits does watermelon have for dogs?
Although it contains much water, watermelon also has some nutrients that dogs can assimilate, just like we do. The following components stand out in watermelon:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B
- Sugars in the form of hydrates
So, thanks to these nutrients that make up watermelon, dogs can benefit.
How is watermelon good for dogs?
- Watermelon is an antioxidant; it is purifying and a diuretic because its amount contributes to the body is substantial. With it, vitamins and fibers, mainly vitamin C.
- It is perfect for summer for its satiating and vital capacity.
- It is a low-calorie fruit, so your dog will not gain pounds and maintain its good physical shape.
- Watermelon has some carotenoids such as lycopene and magnesium, and potassium helps the animal stay healthy and protect its eyes and circulation.
Doubts always arise regarding the foods that you can give or not to your dog. This mostly happens with the fruit and more now in summer with the arrival of fruits such as watermelon.
We have to limit the amount of watermelon that we give the dog because it has sugars and carbohydrates. After all, if the dog abuses them, we would be subjecting it to an excess of carbohydrates. It is a nutrient that you already receive from other foods. Although the sugar naturally present in the fruit is very low, it makes it the best fruit for the dog. To be specific, the amount of sugar present in 100 grams of watermelon is 7 grams.
How can I give my dog watermelon?
Dogs can eat watermelon; you have to follow a few simple steps:
- The first thing is to remove both the seeds and the bark of the piece that you will give it so that it can not swallow them. As we have explained before, this could cause serious stomach problems.
- If this is your first time giving watermelon, first offer him just a small piece to taste, see if he wants to, and watch how he eats it because some dogs may have trouble eating it. If you see that all this works out well, you can give him a whole piece. A maximum of 3 pieces a day of medium size is recommended.
Watermelon for dogs
If the watermelon is something that your dog likes a lot, you could consider rewarding it for the good deeds and thus integrates this fruit as favorable reinforcement. Whenever you give the dog watermelon, you should observe its urine and its feces to see if everything remains the same because if its pee changes color or its feces are too soft, you should not give it watermelon.