Cats are very neat animals. And one advantage they have is that you should not take them out to the street to relieve themselves. But even if they do their things indoors, they need a clean and pleasant space. At the same time, for you and your family, a litter box can be a source of unpleasant odors. And you need tools to help you avoid this hassle.
And this is when the different types of cat litter that the market offers you come into play and that will help you avoid unpleasant odors. At the same time that these felines have become famous as pets, the market for them has increased and there is a wide range of products in this sector. In the following lines you will find out. We started!
- Weekly Newsletter with the best advice on personal finance
- The most important
- The best litters for cats on the market: our recommendations
- 3.1 The best cat litter to avoid bad smells
- 3.2 The favorite cat litter of online users
- 3.3 The best silica gel cat litter
- 3.4 The most practical cat litter
- 3.5 The best eco-friendly cat litter
4. Shopping Guide: What You Should Know About Cat Litter
- 4.1 Why do I need cat litter?
- 4.2 How much cat litter do I put in the litter box to fulfill its function?
- 4.3 How often should I change the cat litter?
- 4.4 Where should I dispose of dirty cat litter?
- 4.5 How do I get used to a baby cat to relieve itself in the sand?
- 4.6 Should I clean the sandbox in addition to changing the sand?
- 4.7 Why doesn’t my cat like his litter?
- 4.8 Is liters and kilos the same when we talk about cat litter?
- 4.9 Can my cat’s dirty litter be harmful to health?
- 4.10 Are there tricks so that cat litter does not smell bad?
5. Purchase criteria
- 5.1 Materials
- 5.2 Weight
- 5.3 Duration
- 5.4 Your priorities
- 5.5 Odors
The most important
- There are several types of sand with very different characteristics. The choice will not depend solely on you, since cats can be very maniacal and you should see how your pet reacts to the product that you put in his litter box.
- Mainly, the market has four main types of sand (all of them with different variants), which you should choose according to your habits and preferences, and according to the tastes of your pet: basic or sepiolite sand, clay binder, ecological or silica gel.
- Cats are very intelligent, so you probably won’t find much of a problem when you want to get them used to using their litter to relieve themselves.
The best litters for cats on the market: our recommendations
In this section you will see a compilation of the five most popular sand packages that you can find this year on the market. In addition, we have summarized and highlighted its main characteristics so that it is easier for you to know each of the products. Thus, you can choose what type of litter will best suit your cat’s litter box.
- The best cat litter to avoid bad smells
- Online users’ favorite cat litter
- Best Silica Gel Cat Litter
- The most practical cat litter
- The best eco-friendly cat litter
The best cat litter to avoid bad smells
These two packages, which together have 20 liters of sand, last about 12 weeks. It is a vegetable bed and binder for cats. It has been created by applying an innovative biotechnology to the granules of the corn cob that turns them into binders and prevents bad odors. These granules are obtained by grinding the internal part of the vegetable.
This sand is biodegradable, does not emit dust and is obtained from raw materials that regenerates naturally. Also, of course, it is not toxic. The already used sand can be thrown into the toilet, the urban waste bin or the domestic compost bin. Buyers note that it is eco-friendly and how well it can neutralize cat urine odors.
Online users’ favorite cat litter
This clumping sand has a fresh talcum scent and creates little dust. It is estimated that a 5 kg package lasts about three weeks. The price is high, but users appreciate its high quality. Even allergy-sensitive cats are protected with this mark. When the cat urinates, very compact balls of sand are created which makes them easy to remove.
Users appreciate the ability of this sand to mask bad odors without becoming highly perfumed or annoying. The manufacturer firm recommends filling the tray with between 5 and 8 centimeters of sand. The formed agglomerates and solid droppings can be removed daily with a shovel to add a little more new product.
Best Silica Gel Cat Litter
This silica sand lasts a month, is odorless and does not raise dust. If the cat takes something out of the box it is large crystals, so it is easy to clean. They are transparent and bluish balls that, as they absorb the urine, they turn yellow. As long as there are white crystals, it should not be changed, only the solid excrements should be removed.
It is a 7.5 kilogram package and users value its quality and absorption capacity. Lasts longer than normal sand. This makes buyers believe that it is a good option when they leave home for a few days and leave their cat alone and well equipped. The same product can also be purchased in a small size.
The most practical cat litter
This 6 kg pot of litter is agglomerating and has the ability to form compact balls with your cat’s waste. It also neutralizes odor and prevents dust. It is a scented sand that makes the room where the sandbox is kept does not smell like urine. It emphasizes that the balls that are created do not remain stuck on the floor or on the walls of the sandbox.
Buyers advise to throw the sand in the trash, and not in the toilet, because the toilet does not swallow this material well, which is not biodegradable. The package lasts two months, according to the seller, although most users comment that it has lasted less. Another feature of this product is that it promises to control bacterial growth.
The best eco-friendly cat litter
This sand is binder, ecological and biodegradable. The remains can be flushed down the toilet or in the organic waste container (depends on local legislation). It has a natural aroma with no artificial additives and is made entirely of vegetable fibers. It has been created with plants and therefore this sand dissolves in water, like toilet paper.
In the manufacture of this sand, pure vegetable fibers obtained from untreated fir wood have been used. These trees are constantly replanted. The bag is made of paper, according to its ideology of respecting the environment, without plastics. It also stands out for being soft in contact with your pet’s paws. This package lasts about two months
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Cat Litter
Next, you will have the possibility to learn more about the variety of products in this cat litter market. And, in addition, we will do everything possible to help you discover secrets of your cat’s behavior that can make your life even more beautiful. Do not miss what is to come because we will solve many doubts.
Why do I need cat litter?
How much cat litter do I put in the litter box for it to do its job?
How often should I change the cat litter?
Where should I dispose of dirty cat litter?
How do I get used to a baby cat to relieve himself in the sand?
Should I clean the sandbox in addition to changing the sand?
Why doesn’t my cat like her litter?
Is liters the same as kilos when we talk about cat litter?
Can dirty litter from my cat be harmful to health?
Are there tricks so that cat litter does not smell bad?
- Change the sand frequently. As recommended, and remove dirty parts and solid droppings daily.
- Use scented litters that have a scent that is pleasant for you and your pet.
- Use closed sandboxes. There are many types of sandboxes, but some have a lid, which prevents the smell from coming out.
- Clean the tray often. More or less once a week empty the tray where the sand is and clean it with water and suitable chemicals.
- Use a room with ventilation. If possible, store the litter box somewhere in your home that has a window or is outdoors to prevent the odor from concentrating in an enclosed space.
- Use air freshener or sand deodorizer. There are products designed to hide the smell. But you must be careful because many cats find these chemicals very annoying.
You have already been able to see that the market for cat litter is not as simple as it might seem. You must attend to a number of important aspects before deciding on a brand or style. Always according to your tastes and those of your pet so that you are comfortable. To make your purchase easier, we remind you which criteria are the most important:
- Your priorities
It is very important to choose the type of litter that your cat likes because otherwise it will reject it. You must also choose based on the cleanliness of the space, where you prefer to throw it and what you want to spend. There are many different brands and types on the market. In this table we will see the most and least positive points of each material and its characteristics:
|Sepiolite sand||Sepiolite is a mineral. |
They are the first on the market.
They are white pebbles.
|It is the cheapest on the market by far. |
It can be scented, so it helps hide odors at home.
|Raises a lot of dust.|
It absorbs less than other materials, which is why liquids accumulate in the base of the sandbox.
It is not compatible with the environment and you cannot throw it into the water.
|Ecological||Made from pine shavings, corncobs or other wood or vegetable fibers.||Biodegradable and respectful with the environment. |
It can be flushed down the toilet (in small quantities) so you don’t have to put up with odors in your trash.
Gives a natural smell to the room. It is absorbent.
It has a great absorbing power.
|As they are light chips, it is easy for the cat to drag them on its paws and make the ground dirty. |
Some of them require the felling of trees for their creation. Pine trees grow fast, but they also negatively affect ecosystems.
|Silica Gel||It is a synthetic, man-made product created from sodium silicate. |
They are like small semi-transparent stones.
|It has a great absorbing power.|
Does not release dust.
Good for neutralizing odor.
The stones turn yellow when they are dirty, so it is easy to know which dirty part should be removed with the shovel.
|It is not ecological. Keep in mind that it is artificial, so the waste is not biodegradable and generates more waste.|
Wide stones that sometimes bother cats on their paws.
|Agglomerating sands||It is made from a clay called bentonite.||Waste, both solid and liquid, is compacted into small conglomerates and is easy to remove with the shovel. |
Able to disguise the smell.
It is biodegradable.
|Kick up dust. |
Sodium bentonite, which helps bind waste, could be harmful to human health, according to some scientific studies.
Clay materials are relatively heavy, therefore the clumping sand is the heaviest. An advantage of silica sand is its lightness. The same weight will bring many more pebbles than if you buy another type of sand. It should be remembered, as we mentioned earlier, that liters and kilos are two different measurements when we are going to buy sand.
Most commonly, sand packages indicate on the bag labels how long the sand inside is expected to last. You should also look at the evaluations of the buyers on the Internet portals in this regard. And, based on that, think about your particular case: the age of your pet, its weight or if you have more than one cat at home.
Keep in mind that silica gel sands and binders last longer than absorbent and eco-friendly ones, generally speaking. This is not an absolute truth, as it varies by brand. The reason is because it requires changing the entire content of the sandbox less frequently when you use the first mentioned ones.
The arenas not only adjust to the tastes of your pet, but also the variety depends on what your priorities are. If you prefer a clean house over caring for the environment. If you prefer to save or if what matters most to you is that it requires little maintenance. In this table we give you a summary so that you know which sand suits you.
|If your priority is:||Buys:||For this reason:|
|Save money||Sepiolite sand.||It is true that you will have to buy more often, because it absorbs less than others, but it still represents a saving due to its low price.|
To a lesser extent, bentonite clay works.
|When choosing an ecological and biodegradable sand, you must also take into account the origin of the materials. There are those that are more respectful with the environment than others. |
For example, sands that come from waste like ears of corn are better.
Bentonite clay is also biodegradable.
|The comfort||Absorbent||Make sure that it is absorbent because that will mean that you have to change the sand and clean the container less frequently (if it does not absorb, urine puddles are created at the base).|
|Avoid smell||One scented or with odor control.||Cat urine smells very strong. This type of sand controls that this smell does not reach other parts of the house. Now, many cats cannot stand the scent of scented ones, although you can try several types.|
|Cleaning around the sandbox||Silica gel ones.||The sand can get caught in your cat’s legs and carry it out of the litter box. Silica gel balls, being larger, stick less and, if they spread outside the sandbox, also because of their size, they are easier to collect.|
A sandbox is a source of strong and obviously unpleasant odors. It is still a place where depositions are stored. Depending on the type of sand, these will be stronger or more controlled. We are going to analyze this purchase criteria according to the styles of sand that we have previously known:
- Ecological litters have the positive that they give a natural aroma to the room, but they do not hide the smell of your pet’s urine well. The good thing about it is that you don’t have to leave dirty sand in the trash at home. You can easily flush it down the toilet and the water will wash it off safely.
- Silica gel sands, in many cases, in addition to absorbing urine, usually neutralize the odor. The structure called a tetrahedron, which is a silicon atom surrounded by four oxygen atoms, helps neutralize odors. On the downside, you can’t flush waste down the toilet, so the dirty sand must go to your bucket. garbage.
- The sepiolite usually comes with some artificial perfume. That will be indicated on the package. It normally masks the smell of urine.
- Binder The clumping sand can also come with added perfumes. Its level of agglomeration of liquids makes its collection easier, but not necessarily to avoid stenches.
A cat comes from the hand of several additional expenses necessary for its well-being and for the best coexistence in the home. Fortunately, as these felines have increased their fame as pets, the chances of finding products on the market that suit our tastes have also increased.
There is a wide variety of cat litter to choose from. It is very necessary for something so everyday for all living beings as urinating and defecating. Therefore we have no choice but to buy sand. The good thing is that you can choose it based on the tastes of your little friend and according to your preferences and lifestyle.
We hope we have solved many or all the doubts you had before reading this article and that your life together will be better from now on. If you liked this article, share it.