If you are thinking of expanding the family with a dog, the best option is not the purchase but the adoption . There are many dogs that need someone like you to give them a home and a lot of love. Therefore, in this post we are going to tell you where you can adopt a dog and what are the things to take into account when doing it.
Before deciding to adopt a dog , you should know what your obligations would be to your new friend. There are many people who give dogs on special dates and then the owners cannot take care of them. Many of these gifted dogs will end up abandoned, in shelters or kennels where a rather dark future awaits them. Therefore, adopting a dog is not a decision to be made lightly .
Adopting a dog implies committing to being a good owner , a good friend. Puppies tend to adapt very well to their new home. But some dogs, especially older ones, need more time to feel safe. Abandonment can and often is a great trauma for these animals, and sometimes it takes them a while to overcome. Your mission is to facilitate the process . That includes providing them with everything they need.
The needs of a dog are the same as ours. These are having a home, a covered bed that ensures a good rest, food, water, hygiene… But what they need most is time. Your time .
A dog has needs that must be met. Ideally, you should go outside three times a day and that at least one of these trips includes a walk of about 20 minutes . A dog needs to run and play, especially if he lives in a small apartment. Exercise benefits your health and ensures your rest. And it needs a lot of pampering. Because a dog is not an ornament, but a friend, and you have to take care of it and love it every day .
And we must not forget medical needs. If you want to adopt a dog, you must make sure that you can afford everything you need in terms of care of all kinds. This includes your vaccinations and your daily care.
Finally, having a dog involves civic obligations . The dog should always be on a leash on the street, with the exception of dog parks. Some breeds may be required to muzzle. And you should always carry bags with you to collect their needs.
Requirements To Adopt A Dog
If you have already decided on a dog, you should know that there are a series of legal requirements to meet in order to adopt it.
The first requirement is to be of legal age. You will not be able to adopt a dog if you are under 18 years of age (in Spain). You will also be required to provide proof that you will be living in the same house as the pet. They could even ask for the landlord’s permission if the house was for rent.
In addition to presenting these documents, you will have to sign an adoption contract , where you agree to take care of your new dog. This care includes veterinarian, time, space, food, exercise … You may also be required to treat the dog to ensure that you are not going to use it for breeding or reproduction. Read this contract well and keep it handy, as they are your responsibilities towards your dog.
Where Can You Adopt A Dog
Thousands of dogs are abandoned every year. The animal shelters cannot supply due to lack of space, means and food. That’s why 60% of shelter dogs are euthanized . It is an alarming amount. Therefore, shelters are the ideal place to look for your new best friend and thus save him from a tragic end.
You have at your disposal several options. You can carry out your search by following these steps:
- Ask your local municipality to find out which are the closest animal shelters and where they are.
- Search on social media or on bulletin boards . There are many people who find animals that they cannot care for, but give them shelter while they look for a suitable owner for them. They usually look for it through advertisements pasted on the streets, on social networks or even in newspapers.
- In addition to animal shelters are the protective , where dogs and cats are attended by a large group of volunteers looking for them a home.
- In many pet stores there are dogs to adopt, usually by agreement with an animal shelter. These dogs are usually in the store for a few days. If no luck, they try another.
Tips For Adopting A Dog
Choose a dog that suits your lifestyle . To do this, you have to take into account the following:
- There are dogs that require more or less physical activity . If you lead a sedentary lifestyle or don’t have time to get out of the house too much, find a quiet dog that doesn’t need a lot of fuss. If, on the other hand, you like to go out for a run and take long walks, find a dog that can keep up with you .
- You must also take into account the size thinking about what your home is going to be. Large dogs can live perfectly in an apartment, but if it can be a problem or a hindrance, don’t even think about it.
- Remember that dogs live an average of 15 years . There are many dogs that are abandoned or locked in a tiny room when a child is born in the family. Dogs can coexist perfectly with young children. In fact, it does them a lot of good. But if you think of having little ones at home and you don’t want them to live with your dog, it is better not to adopt. Every decision has its consequences. A dog is part of the family and cannot be abandoned when it does not suit you.
Alternatives to Adoption
Adoption consists of taking in a dog permanently and giving it the necessary care so that it leads a full life without deficiencies . This implies a long-term responsibility . If you can’t take care of a dog for that long because you plan to move or because other changes in your life are preventing you, there are other possibilities. These possibilities could be better adapted to your lifestyle and with them you also help dogs.
I Want To Host A Dog
If you can give a dog a home but you don’t know for how long, you can offer their shelter . The animal shelters do not have the necessary means to be able to take in and care for all the dogs that are abandoned every day. That is why it has volunteers who offer their house while they look for a new permanent home for this dog. It is a great help and is very feasible in those homes where they cannot commit to giving them a forever home but want to collaborate.
If you are in temporary rental and you can have animals at home or if you expect a change in your life but it has not yet arrived, you can take in a dog. This reception can be of days, weeks, months … As long as you want and can . Sometimes these foster dogs spend their lives from house to house, but at least they have food and shelter assured. Other times, they become so fond of them that they decide to adopt it permanently. Open your home and your heart to a foster dog and time will decide.
I Want To Be A Volunteer In An Animal Shelter
The animal shelters are nothing without the volunteers who work there. Any help is welcome. You can contribute time, money or both. Wearing a protector is not easy. You have to take care of dozens of dogs. They should feed them, keep them clean, take them for walks, and provide veterinary care. That is why they not only need money for feed and vaccines, but they need people who can dedicate some of their time to do all that. Whether or not you have dogs at home, you can do your bit and improve the lives of many dogs.
Whatever the decision, you will see that sharing your time and your home with a dog requires a commitment, but it contributes a lot on a day-to-day basis. They always give more than they get.