Dogs usually love to take a good dip and play in the water. Especially with the arrival of summer and high temperatures. A dog pool is a perfect object for your pet to have fun. In addition, there are some that are very large so that humans can also use it and thus be able to refresh and bond with their beloved dogs.
A dog pool must be very resistant to possible bites from a playful dog and, in addition, it cannot slip, so that it is safe for them, for your children and for you. In this guide we want to guide you on what an ideal pool should be like for your pet and why it is a good idea to buy one and use it, especially now that it is very hot.
The most important
- A dog pool is very necessary for your pet, especially in very hot months. Dogs have few sweat glands and high temperatures make them very ill. Being able to access fresh water in summer is very good for a dog.
- Most dogs love to bathe when they are in the heat. But if it were not so, it can be educated and used. After all, whether in a pool or a bathtub, your dog needs a bath to be clean and healthy.
- When buying a dog pool, you have to pay attention to its size and capacity. Also in the materials, as well as in the system that it offers to drain the water and in the extra accessories that you can buy to make it more useful.
The best dog pools on the market: our favorites
In this guide you will see that choosing the most suitable pool for your dog will be a very important task. And since you are going to make an investment in the well-being of your pet, try to analyze the purchase and that that pool that you buy lasts a few years. To facilitate this task, here we leave you a selection of the five most popular articles among users.
- Best Collapsible Non-Slip Dog Pool
- Best pool for large dogs
- The most practical dog pool
- The toughest dog pool
- The lightest dog pool
Best Collapsible Non-Slip Dog Pool
This dog pool is made of PVC material, which according to its manufacturers, is safe and non-toxic. Each of the parts that make up the pool are boards 0.5 centimeters thick. The water with which the space is filled must occupy less than 80% of the total. It has a non-slip bottom. It is easy to collect, transport and store.
On one side it has a drainage port to remove the water easily without having to move the pool from where it is. At the same time, it is well sealed so that water does not escape. It is available in three sizes, depending on the breed of your dog. And it comes with a free silicone brush. Includes patches in case any part of this pool is torn.
Best pool for large dogs
This pool is made of PVC plastic and PET (polyethylene terephthalate). It has a diameter of 160 centimeters when opened and 30 cm high. It weighs seven kilos. It is in red and blue, both in dark tones. It comes with a drainage hole so that the water can be removed without moving the pool. It is well sealed so that the water does not escape.
It is suitable for all dogs, even those of a lot of weight and size, as buyers comment, who also ensure that it does not slip. It can be folded, folding it into small squares, which makes it easy to put away and store when not in use. There are 35 rectangular shaped pieces, each measuring 27.5 x 12 cm.
The most practical dog pool
This pool is available in three sizes. One of them supports up to 70 kg of weight, another up to 110 kg and another is even used to put several huge dogs, and even people, tolerating more than 110 kilograms. The depth ranges between 20 and 30 centimeters. The base is rough so as not to slip. And the entire pool, including floor, is made of PVC material.
The vendors explain that this pool is portable and easy to store. And it is also very easy to assemble and disassemble. For its drainage, it has a tube with a screw cap, which can be opened to let the water out without having to move the pool. Its exterior is red, while inside it is blue and its shape is round.
The toughest dog pool
This navy blue and sky blue pool measures 160 centimeters in diameter and 30 cm in height. It weighs 5.6 kilograms. It comes collected in folded rectangles. You just need to open it and fill it with water for use. It has an easy drain on one side of the pool to empty the water without moving the object. Some users do not believe that the floor is very resistant.
There is no need to inflate it, just assemble it and it is ready to fill with water and use. Buyers say the sides stay upright even in low water. It has a capacity for more than 500 liters of water. The resistance of the materials stands out, but it is always necessary to ensure that the dog has well-trimmed nails so as not to tear the floor.
The lightest dog pool
This pool that weighs five kilograms, is 120 centimeters in diameter and 30 cm high. The thickness is 0.5 cm. Its manufacturers say that it works both indoors and outdoors. It has a very simple drainage system, placing a plug on one of the sides that, when opened, leaves a hole through which the water can escape without moving the pool.
It is light blue on the outside and dark blue on the inside. It has been manufactured with PVC and PET. Users highlight its resistance to scratches from their dogs. Although if you have a dog that is very strong or wild, it can end up destroying it. It is easy to collect and store. And it is also light to transport.
Shopping Guide: What You Need To Know About A Dog Pool
For a dog, a pool full of cool water can be a huge pleasure on hot days, even an element that can improve its health and quality of life. The heat exhausts all living beings, but while you can get in the shower whenever you want, your dog does not have that option. A pool at your disposal will be a great gift for the dog.
Why do I need a dog pool?
What precautions should I take with my dog before allowing him to use your pool?
- Cut the nails: Even if the pool has resistant material, it is important that the nails are short so that they do not gradually damage the floor.
- Deworm your dog: You should do it with or without a pool. But if you want that pool not to be a source of diseases, do it and make it a few weeks before you start using the pool.
- Vaccinate your dog: It is very important that it is vaccinated under any circumstance. But if it is missing a vaccine, you should not enter that water or allow other animals to do so.
- The first few times he uses his pool, take a good look at his behavior: If he scratches the pool or bites it, you can scold him. If she bathes without destroying anything around her, give her a treat or treat.
- Make sure he is comfortable: In addition to being careful about his behavior, the first times your dog uses his pool try to be attentive. You have to make sure they are comfortable in the water and enjoy it. If not, take him out of the water and train him little by little until he gets used to it.
Can I put chlorine in my dog’s pool?
What is heatstroke and how to remedy it with a dog pool?
Besides the pool, what can I use so that my dog does not suffer from high temperatures?
What do I do if my dog doesn’t want to use his pool?
- When you’re around water, if he’s reluctant, take out his favorite toys and play with him. Get closer to the pool little by little with these objects that he likes so much.
- If he doesn’t like to play, you can do the same with food.
- Somehow try to get his legs into the pool. If you do it distracted by one of your favorite activities, it will come as a pleasant sensation.
- You must remember that, even if the pool is full and your dog is small, by instinct, these animals know how to swim (except for some breeds, as you will see later that they have problems with it). Anyway, at first, don’t lose sight of it.
- If you see him overwhelmed, take him out of the water so he does not associate it with bad feelings.
- If you see that you don’t like it, lower the water level. He still hates swimming, but he’s comfortable wetting his paws and cool.
- Don’t force or you will come to hate your pool. It’s not common for that to happen, but if you can’t get him to like it under any circumstances, it’s best not to push him.
Can my dog eat when he goes to bathe in his pool?
Are there dog breeds that have a harder time swimming in your pool?
What should I do after the dog uses his pool?
Can a puppy dog swim in a pool too?
One of the biggest risks of water for a dog is otitis, in case a lot of water gets in his ear. To avoid it, you must dry the dog’s ears well after each bath. It also cleans the surroundings of the water pool so that those who walk nearby do not run the risk of slipping and falling.
It is important that the puppy is comfortable in the pool. If not, try bathing him with little water so that he is not afraid of that experience. If since baby you force him to bathe and he does not want to, it may be that when he is an adult you will not be able to remove the fear either. Before putting your puppy in the water, ask your vet if he can do it.
Can I use the dog pool to bathe him for hygiene?
As you have already seen in the previous questions, it is not so easy to choose a pool for your dog if you want it to last a long time and that your pet and your family can enjoy this product. For the purchase to be successful, in the following lines you will find a summary of the most important purchase criteria that you must take into account:
- Capacity and size
- Sewer system
Capacity and size
When you go to buy a pool for your dog, it is very important that you take into account its diameter. This is the case if its shape is round, and you should also consider the size of each of its sides, if it is square or rectangular. You should also look at the height of its sides and read in the instructions to what extent it must be filled for proper use.
Take into account both the size and weight of your dog when deciding this criterion. But also think about whether you plan to allow other neighbor dogs or friends to share those fun times with your pet. Or if you, your family or friends could also use it with your pet at an event or celebration. And, based on it, choose its capacity.
If the base of the pool is not strong or offers good stability, this product could easily break. It is therefore very necessary that the floor of a pool is solid and that, when resting on a surface, even if it is not completely horizontal, it remains stable. In addition, it will be of great importance that it does not slip so as not to fall when using it.
It is common for dog pools to come with a rough and non-slip floor, which means that, even if your dog rests his legs on the base, he does not slip and does not run the risk of falling. If the base is flimsy, it can break under the weight of the bathers. It always respects the weight it can support, which its manufacturers will indicate on the box to avoid breakage.
It is important that the system to remove the water is comfortable and fast. From time to time you will have to remove it to maintain hygiene. So it is important that you have a comfortable emptying system. If not, overturning a pool, with the great weight it can have when it is full of water, can be a very heavy task, and you would also fill its surroundings with water.
The common thing is that on one of the sides the pool has a closed tube with a strong cap so that, when opened, the water can easily come out. If you don’t want everything around it to get wet, you can put a bucket under it to collect the water you drain from your pool. A hose with an electrical system for drainage can also be included.
It is common for a dog pool to be made of a hard plastic such as PVC or PET (polyethylene terephthalate). These, normally, are created in such a way that the pool is rigid and consistent without the need to inflate. There are other plastics that can be used, but for these animals, it is best if the material is as strong as possible.
For a pool to fulfill its function and be more comfortable to use, a series of accessories can be added that we will see below. The objective of these accessories is to make the pool more comfortable for your pet to use. Keep it as clean as possible. And also that it lasts longer without breaking. These extra utensils are:
- Cover: It is good to have some canvas or plastic that covers the pool so that the water does not get dirty during the hours or days that you are not using it. If you keep it clean, you will have to use less water to replace it.
- Entrance ramp: Some dogs may be afraid to jump from the outside into the water. With one of these ramps the entrance will be more gradual.
- Non-slip mat : When the pool is located on a surface that can be slippery when wet, place a non-slip mat larger than its base under it so that those who walk around the pool do not run the risk of falling.
- Bowl of water: A dog cannot drink the water in the pool because it has chlorine and it is harmful to his health. Leave your dog drinking water on hand.
- Patch: If any part of the pool is torn, it is common to have patches to put a patch that works, instead of having to throw the product and buy a new pool.
- Hose with drain adapter: A very efficient way to drain the pool water is to use a hose with some system that allows the water to escape.
- Treatment plant: It has the objective of keeping the water clean and thus not having to empty and refill the pool every bit. It is more suitable for those of large capacity.
- Net: It is used to remove, manually, leaves, mosquitoes and other solid elements that dirty the water.
Swimming and playing with water can be a lot of fun for a dog. If we also take into account the high temperatures that exist during several months of the year, and how harmful the heat can be for a dog, a pool with fresh water becomes a necessity. There are pools for dogs of all sizes and with different materials, more or less resistant.
Also, keep in mind that you and your family can also share the pool with your dog, so it must always be kept clean and it should be a good size so that it can withstand everyone’s weight during those hot days. Always make sure your dog is happy and do not force her to swim if you see that she is scared. Train him little by little.