Today there are special powdered formula for puppies. In an emergency, there are formulas to prepare homemade milk for them.
Lactation and Puppies
The best thing for our puppy is to stay with its mother until approximately 8 weeks of age:
- You will drink milk and colostrum for the first two days. It has more nutrients and vitamins than we can buy and it is more natural.
- The mother encourages him to urinate and defecate, the first weeks do not do it alone.
- It makes him more sociable as an adult.
It may happen that it is not possible for him to be with the mother or for her to feed him. In these cases we must feed it ourselves:
- Death of the mother in childbirth.
- Rejection of the puppy by the mother.
- Very large delivery.
- Unfortunately, it is common to find puppies a few days old abandoned.
Can I give my puppy milk for human consumption?
As we have already explained, it is best for the puppy to feed on breast milk from the beginning , as it will provide the nutrients and defenses it needs.
There are formulations that can be easily found in any pet store or veterinary clinic. Milk for human consumption is not recommended to feed our puppy for the following reasons:
- It contains a lot of lactose when compared to your mother’s milk, it can cause digestive problems.
- Lactose-free milk would be more suitable , but if you look at the nutrients, it has less protein, fat and minerals. So we should give him a lot of milk to get to those levels. We will cause gastrointestinal problems: vomiting due to distention of the stomach, indulgence, diarrhea …
If, urgently, you need milk for puppies you can make the following recipe:
- 600 ml lactose-free whole milk + 60 ml heavy cream or 40% fat cream + 1 egg yolk.
This recipe should only be used in an emergency. For example, you have found an abandoned puppy at night or on a Sunday and there is no establishment open to buy, it needs to eat and it does not last until the next day.
By adding the cream and the egg yolk we increase the fat and the protein. As it has raw egg, it should be kept in the refrigerator.
How to prepare powdered milk for puppies at home
The best thing, as we have already explained, is to offer your puppy a good quality formula for dogs:
- Depending on the brand, it carries instructions for you to prepare at home.
- You always have to prepare it at the time of giving it, do not leave it done from one shot to another to prevent it from spoiling.
- It is important that the water temperature is between 30 and 40 ºC.
How much milk should I give my puppy
As with the preparation, the amount also depends on the brand of milk and its composition. In general features:
- They are usually given 30 ml for every 100 g of weight per day. A small breed puppy should not take the same amount as a large breed puppy.
- The first weeks the shots will be every 3 hours and we will be able to space them from the third week.
- It is better to give a little less milk than a little more. If we overfeed our puppy we can have problems with diarrhea or aspiration pneumonia.
- Always give the bottle with the puppy’s belly down, not on its back.
- After feeding it, it must be stimulated to urinate and defecate.
- From the fourth week of life you can try to introduce solid food.