When we decide to adopt a dog it is essential that we are aware of the importance of its education. Living with a dog cannot be limited to putting him in a bed, giving him food or taking him for a walk.
Keep in mind that education allows you to enjoy a balanced dog in any circumstance. It is also a way of creating and strengthening our bond with him. Therefore, it is basic for all dogs, regardless of their age or size.
Canine education basics
A series of myths still circulate around the education of dogs that should be dispelled before adopting one. Information is the best way to prevent coexistence problems. Veterinarians specialized in ethology, canine educators or ethologists are the professionals who can help you the most. Note that:
- All dogs can be educated, regardless of their age. Not only puppies are capable of learning.
- Dogs with behavior problems can recover with patience and good professional advice.
- Almost all the behaviors that complicate coexistence with the dog are due to failures of the caregivers in handling.
- Never, ever, under any circumstances is violence against dogs justified. In no case do you put the so-called punishment necklaces on him. Also, yelling and hitting does not educate. Rubbing the dog’s muzzle over his urine either.
- Adopting a new dog never usually solves the problems of the one we already have at home.
- Cubs do not have to be separated from their mother or siblings for at least eight weeks of age.
- Socialization, that is, exposing the dog to various stimuli, is as important as education. But in puppies that have not yet completed their vaccination schedule, we must maintain health security.
- The prizes are not only food, they also serve caresses and affectionate words.
- Dogs learn better by praising their successes than by reprimanding their mistakes.
Canine education for a happy coexistence
When a dog comes home it is necessary to establish basic rules of hygiene and behavior. This means that we have to make it clear to him what he can and cannot do and where. For example, you have to learn that you evacuate on the street and not at home, that your socks do not tear and that, if we decide to do so, you cannot get on the sofa.
To avoid confusion, all members of the household have to respect the same established rules. Also, dogs like routines . Thus, it helps them a lot that the hours of walks, meals or games are always the same or similar. The predictability of the environment reduces the likelihood of stress.
On the other hand, for its well-being and to achieve the best predisposition for learning, the dog has to see its basic needs covered. These include food, care, hygiene, exercise, stimulation and lots of love. This is basically what a dog has to learn at home:
- Defecate and urinate outside the home.
- Learn to walk on the leash without pulling.
- Socialize with other dogs.
- Know the basic orders.
- Get used to traveling by car.
- Do not jump on people or disturb other animals. Also not chasing bicycles or other vehicles.
- Stop barking when instructed.
- Do not destroy objects or furniture.
- Do not ask for food or take it from tables, on the street or if it is offered to you by strangers.
- Allow us to manipulate him throughout the body, which is basic to bathe him, brush him, clean his ears, eyes, feet, cut his nails or administer medications. This includes visits to the vet.
- Of course, do not bite, growl or show your teeth.
Basic commands all dogs should learn
Basic commands such as “come”, “sit”, “stay”, “lay down”, “no” or “together” should be known to all dogs, whether they are puppies or adults. With them we make sure that the dog heeds our call and remains calm in any situation. They are not a whim.
Dogs can learn a lot of our words, but not all of them. So during our conversations, they may feel lost. Recognizing the commands we have taught them keeps them calmer . These can be learned by all dogs, from puppies to the oldest. Follow these educational tips to teach:
- Pick a time when you have time and are calm.
- Sessions should only last a few minutes. The dog will not stay focused for long, especially if it is a puppy.
- Have the prizes handy if you’re going to offer him something to eat. If that’s the case, start the session before the dog has eaten.
- If the dog is very distracted, save class for another time. Forcing it only frustrates you both.
- It always ends in the positive, rewarding the dog for carrying out the order or, at least, approaching.
Where to start the education of our dog?
First of all, always educate yourself before adopting a dog. It uses a specialized bibliography prepared by experts. These are veterinarians specialized in canine behavior, ethologists or educators. Make sure that their educational methods are not violent.
To help you, you can find classes for puppies or adult dogs in your place of residence. They are being organized in more and more locations and allow you to get started in canine education by following the direct guidance of professionals who will be able to answer your questions at the moment. Also, keep in mind that to achieve good results you need:
- Patience, you won’t get a perfect dog in two days.
- Peace of mind, your nervousness is transmitted to the dog.
- Coherence, to repeat the guidelines always in the same way. Otherwise we will only create confusion for the dog.
- Confidence, every day is a new opportunity to start and learn.